What is a Birth Doula?
→ Doula is a greek word meaning “woman’s helper,” and originated when women gave birth in their homes surrounded by other women. A birth doula provides informational, emotional & physical support and comfort to a woman & her partner throughout the pregnancy, birth, & postpartum period.
Recent studies found the following benefits for woman who used a Doula
- Reduces the overall cesarean rate by 50%
- Reduces the length of the labor by 25%
- Reduces the use of Synthetic Oxytocin (Pitocin) by 40%
- Reduces the use of Pain Medication by 30%
- Reduces the need for Forceps by 40%
- Reduces the request for Epidurals by 60%
Mothering The Mother. Klaus, Marshall M.D., et al. 1993.